- Pineapple – Pineapple contains a host of very powerful antiinflammatory enzymes that help the body heal. When choosing this food make sure you buy it fresh. The natural enzymes are not present in canned pineapple. Make sure you buy organic. Chemical pesticides can reduce the nutrient value of the food and contribute to chronic disease.
- Berries – Strawberries, raspberries, blue berries, acai berries, cranberries, and blackberries contain powerful phytonutrient antioxidants that help the body control inflammation and enhance the immune systems ability to aid in healing. Make sure you are buying organic to avoid chemical residues and pesticides.
- Green Tea – green tea contains several types of flavonoids and polyphenols that act as antioxidants. Green tea helps the body to detoxify toxic compounds. This process helps your cells protect the DNA from free radical damage. Drink 2-3 glasses of tea daily to achieve a therapeutic effect.
- Beef – Yes you read that correctly! Beef has had a bad rap because of saturated fats. You must understand that not all beef is created equally. Corn fed beef (which is what most people buy in the grocery store) is very high in saturated fat and toxic chemicals. Cows on feed lots typically eat chemically laden corn. How can you expect to get healthy when eating such an unhealthy animal. Look for Grass Fed Beef. When grass fed, beef is very healthy, contains very little saturated fat, and is rich in nutrients. Grass fed beef is rich in CLA, a powerful fat that helps the body metabolize fat and lose weight. I recommend getting grass fed beef from here.
- Tumeric – is a natural spice commonly used in Eastern cuisine. It contains a very powerful anti-inflammatory compound called curcumin. Liberal use of this spice in cooking can be of great benefit for those with chronic pain. The anti-inflammatory and pain reducing effects of curcumin have been well studied making this natural compound one of natures strongest aids for pain.
- Garlic – This powerful allium vegetable provides strong antiinflammatory compounds. Garlic has been wildly researched to help lower blood pressure, cholesterol, reduce the risk of cancer, and improve lymphatic flow. Using garlic liberally when cooking will provide your body with great benefit.
- Ginger – Ginger is a root that has traditionally been used to help relieve nausea, indigestion, and heart irregularities. It has been well researched and is a powerful antiinflammatory food. It works by blocking the enzyme cyclo oxygenase (COX). This is the same mechanism of action as commonly prescribed pain medications use.
- Cold Water Fish – This type of fish is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. New research shows that the use of EPA and DHA (natural compounds found in fish) reduces pain and inflammation more effectively than prescription NSAID pain medications. Because of polluted waters, these fish can be high in toxic metals like mercury. That is why I recommend Omega Heal as a dietary supplement or get your fish from here. This company tests their fish for toxins before selling them.
- Water – 66% of your body is composed of water. Even low grade chronic dehydration can contribute to a sluggish metabolism and cause a number of problems. Lack of water contributes to chronic muscle spasm, and increased blood viscosity. Both contribute to poor healing and inflammation. As a general rule of thumb, you should drink enough water so that you are having to urinate at least 3-4 times per day.
Modern medicine today would have you believe that pills with foreign chemicals should be your medicine. Don’t underestimate the power of food to help you heal.